Monday, January 11, 2010

A Healthy Way of Life

So, here goes.
Last week, I have begun with a group called Losers are Winners through my chiropractor. I have decided that the only way I will hold myself accountable is to share.

First, let me begin with the “WHY?” of it all. About a year ago, (yes, it has taken me a year to get my act together) I was carrying my sleeping 7 year old up the stairs. OH MY, was it hard. By the time I got up the stairs, I was in pain in my chest and legs. I had a moment where I thought that if my kids needed my help, I would literally die trying. My kids are way more important than my laziness. So in a nutshell, I want to get healthy. My goals are to lose 30 lbs. and to be able to run a ½ marathon in a year.

So, as my first week, I have to say this is not so fun. Half way through the treadmill when it comes to my second run, I think I am going to DIE! My kids are a great motivation. They encourage me to keep going. When no one is watching, it is very easy for me to just stop. YIKES! This morning, I did my 3rd workout. Is it sad that my one month goal is to be able to run 1 mile. I think that is so sad. I used to be able to competitively dance for hours. What has happened to me? Enough self pity. So the question is, can I do it? Each time I have started, it lasts about a month and then, BAM, I give up. And guess what happens? I gain more weight. My biggest issue to overcome if, you guessed it, FOOD! To be more exact, JUNK food. I love sugar and chips. Here comes the accountability part. I can eat half a bag of cheetos without a second thought. Even worse than that, Dove chocolate is my weakness. Before I realize it, the bag is gone, and I just opened it.

Thankfully, in October, I quit drinking Dr. Pepper, my biggest weakness of all. I cannot tell you how much better I have felt without it. I would drink 44-64 oz. a day. That was the beginning of my change. This month, I am trying to cut out all sugar. Do you know how much sugar is in everything!!! I know that with 4 kids, it is not realistic to keep it out of my life completely, but for one month I think that I can do it. However, I will not be bringing chips back into my life. Do you know what are in those? Scary. And as for sugar, I will defiantly have to figure out healthier options. Through my chiropractor, I started on a cleanse this week. I am on day 3. I have not eaten any food. I was surprised that I was not hungry after each protein drink. Anyways, for 7 days, I cannot eat any sugar which is helping jump start my goal. But the interesting thing is that we have chocolate all over my house, and I am not even craving it. But let me tell you about the withdrawls. They are not as bad as I thought, but I am having headaches and the shakes once in a while. The only other problem that I am having is that I am tired. The purpose of this cleanse is to clean out all the toxins in my body. On Friday, it will be the last day, so I will post more after that is complete. I am so excited because today, I get to eat a meal for dinner. YEA! I have never been so excited to eat vegetables in my life.

Even though it is not very fun right now, I am very excited about my journey and hoping that with sharing it, (even if no one reads it) that I will be able to reach my goals and then keep it off. I am waiting for my addictive personality to switch all my bad habits to exercise. I have heard that running is addictive. However, I would not know.

This is my first of a 6 month journey that I hope will continue to become a new lifestyle.

4 comments:

A Sharing Heart said...

I am glad that you are back and so proud of what you are doing. Maybe you will be my incentive to start all over again. I am so tired and feel bogged down, don't know why it is so hard to eat the way I should, I know how much better I feel when I eat right and excercise both of which I have given up on. I will be your biggest support!

The Horlacher's said...

Hi Kathryn,

I didn't ever think you were going to blog again. I am so glad that you did. I am also trying to loose some weight. I am hoping Jillian can wip me into shape. I wish you well. I also have a hard time sticking to something. I hope you are good. We miss you guys.
Jen

Kelly P said...

Way to go, Kathryn! I'm proud of you for making the change. Good luck running - and you are right - it is addictive - not so much the running, but the feeling you get after exercising. Keep it up! Call me when you want to eat chips. I'll tell you to back away :) Love ya!

Kat said...

Thanks for all your support. I am on day 4 of no sugar or junk. Going through major withdrawls today. But I have already lost 5 pounds. Yea! Mom, thanks, I know you are my biggest support. Jen, I miss you guys too. Maybe we will have to come for a visit. Kelly, I will call you. If you have any great recepie's, will you send them my way. Thanks